Re: TWO WEEK LAST CALL: Regularizing Port Numbers for SSL.

Rodney Thayer wrote:

> I disagree that it's easy to SSL-ize applications. I added SSL to <a
> commercial browser> and it was massively painful because of the
> message negotiation that has to happen up front; this interfered
> unfortunately with the non-blocking I/O model the browser was using.
>
> Of course, now that I have the scars from this experience I feel I
> understand exactly what I need to do next time I design an
> application...

I agree, it's harder than it looks.  Especially for applications that
have to handle several open streams simultaneously.

I also object to trying to do SSL and non-SSL on the same port for
security reasons.  It adds another level of complexity to making sure
you don't get rolled back to an insecure state.

--
You should only break rules of style if you can    | Tom Weinstein
coherently explain what you gain by so doing.      | tomw@netscape.com