Re: Netscape and Passwords?

John Macko wrote:

> I happened across the following quote from the Technology Preview of
> Constellation  - Netscape's new netcasting and desktop-customization
> technology.
>
> "Constellation will allow you to access your HomePort from any
> location or any computer. You no longer need to be tied to your
> desktop to be productive. For example, when traveling between home and
> work or between multiple offices, you can enter your ***user name and
> password*** for your HomePort and work with all of your information,
> just as you left it, regardless of where you are or what type of
> computer you are running. "
>
> Given the reluctance of Netscape to support Passwords in the TLS
> protocol, I am a bit curious as to the underlying technology Netscape
> will be using for  password based authentication to your "HomePort."
>
> Does anyone have any insight into this?

Obviously the quoted paragraph was written by someone in marketing who
doesn't know any better.  It should read "insert your hardware token
and enter your PIN".

--
You should only break rules of style if you can    | Tom Weinstein
coherently explain what you gain by so doing.      | tomw@netscape.com