A new name for our protocol: SENT

From: Paul Hoffman <paulh@imc.org>
Date: Wed, 8 May 1996 09:38:39 -0700
To: ietf-tls@w3.org
On a slightly different note, none of the names that have been bandied
about (TLS, STLP, or PCT, or SSL) are in the least bit pronounceable. This
is meant to be a technology that will be widely used in many forms, and
we're forcing the general population to spell it out when they say it.

With that in mind, I propose that whatever protocol comes out of this group
have a nice, meaningful acronym that can be pronounced in many languages as
a single syllable. My suggestion, from French, is:

SENT - SÚcuritÚ en Niveau-Transport

(For those with ASCII-only mail clients, there are acute accents over the
two "e"s in Securite.) It says what we're doing (niveau meaning layer), the
acronym is easy to pronounce in many languages, the acronym means nice
things in French (feeling), the acronym means a somewhat relevant thing in
English, and so on. And, it's about time that the IETF started naming
things in languages other than English...