Re: Merged Transport Layer Protocol Development

From: Ralph Spencer Poore <rspoore@ralph-s-poore.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 1996 00:38:57 -0500
To: Tatu Ylonen <ylo@ssh.fi>
Cc: ietf-tls@w3.org
At 01:06 AM 4/25/96 +0300, you wrote:
>I just wish to say that I also agree that special processing for
>pre-encrypted data is a Bad Idea.  A 90-MHz Pentium can encrypt fast
>enought to completely fill an ethernet (the ethernet becomes the
>limiting factor), and the processing speed is doubling every year.
>
>The overhead from encryption is negligible all but the most
>high-volume servers connected to the Internet by something faster than
>10Mbits/sec.  (Unless you also do a lot of CPU-intensive processing
>that competes for CPU.)
>
>I don't think the complications from special handling are justified.
>
>As for pre-encryption with strong hardware algorithms, it does no harm
>to double-encrypt.
>
>    Tatu

I agree it does no harm to double-encrypt (presuming the result isn't an
import/export
issue) and wasn't intentionally suggesting support for special handling of
pre-encrypted
data.  The ability to use renegotiation with  NULL-WITH-NULL CipherSpec before
sending the file and resuming with the previous CipherSpec when it's done
seems a small
price if double-encryption were undesired.

Ralph Spencer Poore
rspoore@ralph-s-poore.com