Re: Password Authentication

From: Bennet Yee <bsy@cs.ucsd.edu>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 10:47:34 -0700
To: dpkemp@missi.ncsc.mil (David P. Kemp)
Cc: ietf-tls@w3.org
I agree with most of your points about passwords.  However, the scenario
that you draw about extensions would imply that we should think about
mechanisms by which extensions to TLS may be made cleanly -- reserve some
record type numbers that are vendor-specific, and mandate that the rest
be not used except as officially sanctioned blah blah blah when/if TLS
gets revised.  If we don't do this, then we risk creating compatibility
problems in the future.

-bsy

--------
Bennet S. Yee		Phone: +1 619 534 4614	    Email: bsy@cs.ucsd.edu

Web:	http://www-cse.ucsd.edu/users/bsy/
USPS:	Dept of Comp Sci and Eng, 0114, UC San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093-0114