Re: Revised Draft Charter

From: Paul Hoffman <paulh@imc.org>
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 1996 11:08:00 -0800
To: ietf-tls@w3.org
The charter looks good to me. I have one small concern that, if others
agree, could be easily resolved.

>Several methods of providing a secure and authenticated channel
>between a client and a server on the Internet above the TCP layer have
>appeared.  The objective of this proposed working group is to write
>standards track RFC(s) for protocols using the currently available
>Internet drafts as a basis.

These two sentences together make it sound lke the protocol will be for
client-server channels only. As the HTTP WG has discovered, calling
something a "client" or a "server" can cause all sorts of problems when you
later have "proxies". Further, we may want STLP to work in peer-to-peer
situations.

I suggest we reword the first sentence to read:

Several methods of providing a secure and authenticated channel
between computers on the Internet above the TCP layer have appeared.