Re: Introducing a new HTTP response header for Carbon Emissions calculation

On Tue, Apr 11, 2023 at 8:58 PM Evert Pot <me@evertpot.com> wrote:

> With this carbon header, who is anticipated to be processing it? So far
> we've heard it could be the client software, a site operator, or even a hop
> (by summing the received value with its own).
>
> As a developer, if services start supporting this I would probably emit
> this header, but also read the values I get from others. If I'm using third
> party services, I might get insight on where most carbon emissions happened
> and optimize/cache specifically those.

Thanks Evert.

The other questions I forgot to ask to the collection in my last email were

* Presumably there is some relationship with an external service. It it
made the same details available in logs, would that provide the same
benefit as the proposed header?
* Is this information reasonable accessible by the server providing a
response? For instance, is a developer using a cloud VM going to be able to
access the live carbon costs with any reasonable accuracy? That's not a
reason not to do any work but we should try to understand the limitation of
the ability to populate the data today, and what steps would be needed to
make that better, indpendent of its carriage mechanism.

Cheers
Lucas