From: Martin Thomson <mt@lowentropy.net>
Sent: Friday, January 7, 2022 9:44 AM
To: Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu>; The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-httpbis-http2bis@ietf.org; httpbis-chairs@ietf.org; ietf-http-wg@w3.org; Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Subject: Re: Benjamin Kaduk's Discuss on draft-ietf-httpbis-http2bis-06: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

> Section 9.1

>    Clients SHOULD NOT open more than one HTTP/2 connection to a given

>    host and port pair, where the host is derived from a URI, a selected

>    alternative service [ALT-SVC], or a configured proxy.

> quic-http has similar text (in §3.3), but it refers to a given IP

> address and port, rather than host and port.  Is the difference

> between host and IP address significant when comparing h/2 and h/3?

> (When using IP addresses, we of course have to additionally talk about

> name resolution of the other types of identifier.)

I honestly don't know.  I think perhaps host is better in this case in the sense that clients aim to connect to hosts and connection coalescing is not a requirement, just permitted (as noted in the text that follows).  I'm not sure that it really matters ultimately, but it's worth checking.

Perhaps Mike Bishop can help us here.