Re: Lars Eggert's No Objection on draft-ietf-httpbis-proxy-status-06: (with COMMENT)

Hi Lars,

> On 24 Aug 2021, at 10:44 pm, Lars Eggert via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> wrote:
>
> Section 2. , paragraph 12, comment:
>>   When adding a value to the Proxy-Status field, intermediaries SHOULD
>>   preserve the existing members of the field, to allow debugging of the
>>   entire chain of intermediaries handling the request.
>
> I'm surprised this is not a MUST? Are there any valid reasons for not observing
> order?

As discussed previously, this is intentional; there are cases where it's desirable to remove it (e.g., when a CDN has several layers of intermediation, and doesn't want to expose internal details to clients). A subsequent edit highlighted this possibility.

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham   https://www.mnot.net/