Re: Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-nottingham-bikeshed-length-00.txt

I think that the expectation that this ultimately be accurate makes it no different than Content-Length.  Then you might be allowed to be different, with some appropriately loose definition that allows being off either a proportion of the overall or a fixed amount. Then it could be used to (for example) indicate the length of something that is being decompressed/compressed on the fly.  In a world with midders, the estimate could even be updated over time and converge on the actual length.

I agree with Willy about special rules for trailers.

I have opinions about the name, but I will refrain because the author clearly asked for that kind of restraint.