Re: What we call "headers"

> On Mar 16, 2020, at 11:38 PM, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net> wrote:
>
> A little while back we made some changes in http-core regarding terminology and headers. This seems to have caused some confusion and comment, so I thought I'd summarise where I think we're at (Julian and Roy might want to chime in if they feel differently or want to add nuance).
>
> Note that this is _not_ a call to bikeshed the chosen terms*.
>
> The corresponding spec text is at <https://httpwg.org/http-core/draft-ietf-httpbis-semantics-latest.html#header.fields>, although of course we're still working on it.

It might be easier to see the changes vs 7231 in this diff

   https://httpwg.org/http-core/diffs/diff_semantics_frfc_to_07.html#part-9 <https://httpwg.org/http-core/diffs/diff_semantics_frfc_to_07.html#part-9>

One thing I noticed was that section 4 now says there are two separate areas
where fields can occur. I would prefer to define it as a possibly empty header
section and zero or more trailer sections (depending on the version or transfer
coding). I think it is better to provide for the general case instead of assuming
that chunked is the only example.  This is related to

  https://github.com/httpwg/http-core/issues/313

....Roy