Re: Call for Adoption: draft-richanna-http-message-signatures

On 1/8/20 11:33 PM, Mark Nottingham wrote:
> To that end, this is a Call for Adoption of
> draft-richanna-http-message-signatures-00. Since there hasn't been
> extensive discussion yet, we're looking for more confirmation than
> just absence of objection; we'd like folks to read the document and
> state explicitly whether they support it as a starting point for a
> work item.

I support the adoption of this work into the HTTP WG and support the use
of draft-richanna as a starting point.

My organization, Digital Bazaar, has used draft-cavage-* (which is the
basis for draft-richanna-*) extensively, has written multiple
implementations, and maintains the test suite. We will update our
implementations to track changes made by the HTTP WG and will endeavour
to convince the *22 other implementations* to also update their
implementations. More about this in a separate email.

Certain specifications that the W3C Decentralized Identifier Working
Group (DID Authentication over HTTP) and W3C Credential Community Group
(Authorization Capabilities, Encrypted Data Vault Authorization over
HTTP) may eventually depend on require the completion of this work as
well. Experimental implementations for work that builds on top of
draft-cavage-* already exists. The HTTP WG should not let those
specifications nor timelines impact its timeline on this work item, but
should be aware of that potential dependency if the work is adopted.

I'm currently in the process of mobilizing all the other implementers to
provide input on the Call for Adoption since many of them are probably
unaware that the call is happening now (that's on me, I've been delayed
in getting those emails out).

Finally, a huge thanks to Annabelle and Justin for picking up the baton
and running with this!

-- manu

Founder/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.
https://tinyurl.com/veres-one-launches