Re: Digest, trailers and buffering was: Re: Updating Digest header RFC3230 using "selected representation"

On Tue, Jul 23, 2019 at 2:41 PM Lucas Pardue <lucaspardue.24.7@gmail.com>
wrote:

>  Progressive consumption implies an ability for progressive digest
> calculation, and if that cannot happen then I don't know if sending the
> digest as trailer does address trade-offs.

I agree that the digest is meaningless if you're doing progressive
rendering, since you can't calculate it until you have the whole message.
But you can calculate the digest as a trailer if you're doing progressive
production.

Sending the digest as a trailer reduces costs for the sender, whether it's
an upload or download. If the message is small, it's also likely that TLS
is good enough in that case.

thanks,
Rob