Re: draft-kinnear-httpbis-http2-transport questions

On 23/03/2019 06:39, Eric Kinnear wrote:
> Hi Andy, Kari,
>
> Thanks for the comments and discussion here!
>
> As Kari mentioned, this does specify two new :protocol names and is a
> fairly straightforward extension to RFC8441.
>
> In terms of negotiation of subprotocols/next protocol there are a few
> options that come to mind:
>
> (1) Treat this like TCP and leave it up to the data running over this
> arbitrary bytestream to negotiate what it wants to do. Note that
> hostname/port/etc. are all just as available here as to TLS. That’s some
> of what’s currently in the document, but I suspect we’ll want more than
> that, for many of the reasons outlined in your emails.
> However, folks using existing protocols transported over H/2, which is
> one of the main use cases here, are probably okay with just (1). This
> also enables exactly the same API surface/mechanisms that are currently
> used for that protocol over TLS, except now it’s transparently using a
> single transport connection underneath.

TLS is a good example... modern TLS does not take this completely opaque
transport approach either... see SNI and ALPN / NPN.  They also found
that it's necessary to have standardized OOB characterization of what it
will carry.  In practice even h2 itself requires ALPN so the two sides
can agree on "h2" as the protocol the opaque tunnel will carry.

Since that's only available at the network connection level but h2 can
mux independent streams (upgraded to independent protocols...) inside
it, I think you also have to take on replicating ALPN / ws subprotocol
type metadata at that layer too, one way or another.

> (2) The path is present and can be useful in designating different
> “endpoints” for different types of services. This is also in the
> document, and aims to look very similar to how WebSocket handles this in
> 8441. As Andy notes, this doesn’t quite provide a scenario where the
> client offers something and the server picks it. If you have multiple
> protocols and just need different “endpoints”, you can likely use this
> in combination with (1) above without too much trouble.

You can rely on implied stuff like URL conventions as much as you want
if you control both sides, and just need to do it once with no
interoperability.  But for cases beyond that, you need to spell it out
normatively how it should work.

Isn't it simpler to call this protocol metadata out into its own thing
rather than overload the url path, in terms of defining it?  In some
implementations the protocol handler will be intimately integrated with
the whole URL space, but in others, it will not natively know what a URL
is and definitely not know or care about at least the leftmost part of
it already "dereferenced" by the server above it.

> (3) Incorporate a header that contains a list of next protocols and lets
> the responder choose. This can be very useful, but it’s not strongly
> defined in the current version of the document. I’d be open to adding
> it, and offhand it seems like it would look pretty much like WebSocket’s
> version in 8441.
>
> (4) A different mechanism that would be helpful here? Ideally, it would
> be common to anyone and any protocol wanting to use the extended CONNECT
> handshake.

ws has the concept of a degenerate case where the protocol isn't
given... you get a "default protocol" for that vhost whatever that means
to the server (and it may mean something different to the client...).  I
really recommend not copying that and enforcing roll-your-own protocol
naming along the lines of "com.apple.myproduct.myprotocol.version".

> Operatively, the main point of the extended CONNECT part is to say
> “here’s this great thing for WebSocket, let’s generalize it to the base

I agree, but deployment situation is dismal on 8441.  And that has the
advantage of ws semantics on the client side ultra-widely deployed.  So
I also think as mentioned some examples selling why you would deploy it
would be helpful in there.  For example, there's nothing saying why for
your use-case, taking the hit to add 8441 encapsulated ws framing is out
of the question.  Then you can just use 8441.

> of what other :protocol values will need”.
> In doing that, we also define a new :protocol that covers a number of
> use cases, but most certainly not everything that the extended CONNECT
> method could be useful for.
> Future :protocol values should be able to build on top of this, since it
> defines a minimal set (i.e. without WebSocket specific items) of
> functionality that is needed for generic use of that handshake.

Yes... I agitated a long while ago for this to directly be part of h2,
at least something that was enough to carry ws in the base spec in a way
compatible with the ws JS api.  so I agree it has been a missing
piece...8441 largely ticked the box in terms of getting the
(considerable) mux advantages but it has some deliberate inefficiencies
and ws focus since it came to be from taking the temperature of what
browser vendors were actually willing to discuss / implement not what
was ideal.

-Andy