Re: draft-richsalz-httpbis-https-downgrade-00.txt

Hi Mark,

It would be great to have some time to discuss in Prague.

On the CDN-to-client signal, one major initial value may be for providing
visibility and transparency.  For example, this could be useful for
researchers and for dashboards such as https://securethe.news/ in a similar
way that the 451 response code was useful even if the target audience
wasn't end-users.

For "hobbling the protocol", it has the potential to be useful to
discourage some of the most dangerous behaviors.  Many of the biggest
challenges and drivers for downgrade seem to come from origins hosting
large media libraries (video streaming, images, user-generated content,
etc).  Supporting downgrade but while stripping cookies and the like can
help reduce risks from misconfigurations or miscommunication.  I'd agree
that this won't work as well with small HTML websites (vs
images/media/video libraries), and other strategies may be more appropriate
there.  Anecdotally, the latter are potentially easier to just get to
deploy HTTPS to the origin, especially with the existence of LetsEncrypt,
but the mix of these challenges may vary for CDNs with different customer
bases.

Most of the challenges we've seen on this front have come from folks with
custom / legacy origin infrastructure.  It's unclear whether a profile
would help, although I can see some best practices there being useful in
other ways.

    Erik