Re: New Version Notification for draft-thomson-http-hx-uri-00.txt

On Fri, Mar 8, 2019, at 17:10, Mark Nottingham wrote:
> I think the logical direction to go would be to have the client give
> each request that it might want to reference in the future a UUID (or
> similar).

I'm less sure about this.  The key is to establish some expectation that an interaction will be referred to, but we might do that using other methods.  That said, the properties you are looking for are end-to-end, so the mechanism I chose is probably a poor fit for that.

> Also, I do wonder about having these URIs come in at the payload level;
> if they were referring to representations, you'd be able to talk more
> about what the application care about (e.g., consider the case of a 304
> or a 206).

Yeah, I spent some time trying to think through those and concluded that if I started to pull on that thread I'd never finish.  But it is probably better overall to identify the representation rather than the payload.