Re: New Version Notification for draft-thomson-http-hx-uri-00.txt

> Am 05.03.2019 um 03:27 schrieb Martin Thomson <mt@lowentropy.net>:
>
> This is a crazy idea that has been brewing for a while.  This describes an identification scheme that might allow for some interesting optimizations of common API patterns.  Hopefully there is enough in the draft to stimulate thoughts about how HTTP might evolve.

Wild and interesting. Looking at this from a server perspective:

This seems to assume that the connection, as seen by the client, looks the same on the server component processing this. At least in order to identify 'previous' requests. This is problematic in clusters, ssl terminators, and reverse proxies (connections to backend may come and go during a the lifetime of a frontend connection).

The references seem to go back in time only, at least in the examples. This would require a server to keep a lot of information about previous requests available. It would be much easier to process hx: uris that refer to requests in the future. So, a client would build up a sort of quantum state of hx: uris in the server (or an intermediate) and the real request(s) afterwards collapses it. This could at least work in HTTP/2(+).

Cheers,
Stefan