Re: HTTP/3 Prioritization Proposal

The biggest issue (at least currently) that I know of with the need to
synchronize the current priority trees is when adding new streams as a
child of a stream somewhere in the existing tree. The client has to hope
that the server still knows about the parent stream that the new stream is
being attached to, otherwise it gets dumped to the root with a weight of
16. This is a very real edge-case that, while known, impacted at least the
h2o and Google HTTP/2 server implementations serving traffic to Chrome. My
initial test for HTTP/2 prioritization triggered the edge case quite
reliably (unintentionally). h2o has since worked around it by "remembering"
some completed streams but I believe the Google edges are still impacted
(and I'm not sure about other implementations).

The existing scheme itself may be simple but implementing it is not. At
least on the client side, the browser needs to maintain a tree of all of
the in-flight requests to determine where the next stream should be
attached which is why the implementations are pretty simplistic. Firefox
just attaches new streams to the parent groups. Chrome keeps the "tree" but
it is effectively a linear list sorted by priority and new streams are
inserted as needed. Building a tree that supported ordering the critical
resources and splitting concurrency for visible images, hidden images, etc
is probably possible with some combination of Firefox's phantom streams for
grouping (to do group sequencing) but it would be a MUCH more complicated
tree. Trying to debug the trees and serving order from a dev perspective
then requires devs to draw out the full tree and understand what is going
on (website devs, not the protocol implementors).

I'm sure it's possible to do everything I'm proposing with the existing
tree scheme, I just think the complexity is too high for it to actually
happen. I'm hopeful that the proposal still achieves everything that
browsers actually need from scheduling resources while making it much
easier to understand, implement and debug.