Re: Structured Headers: URI type (#782)

On Thu, 2 May 2019 at 15:23, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net> wrote:

> (Editor hat on)
>
> <https://github.com/httpwg/http-extensions/issues/782>
>
> PHK and I have discussed this, and I think we agree that this issue should be closed without any change to the specification.
>
> Any further discussion? We'd like to get this spec shipped.
>
> Thanks,

For what it's worth, I'm still recovering from my ordeal with file://
so the thought of touching URLs again is unappealing.  The simplest
thing to do (aside from "nothing") would be to use whatever already
exists.  So if we were to define a URI type I would recommend using
whatever "Link:" already uses.  Looking at RFC 8288, that's
"URI-Reference" from 3986.

However, I think Link is a bad example to build off because it is a
"parameterised" thingy, but we've already restricted the set of
parameterisable thingies in SH to just sh-tokens.  So we couldn't
recreate Link in SH even if we wanted to, without even more work.  So
why bother adding a new type for it?  And we don't need a structured
type for Location, because that's not structured per se.

So I'm for closing with no action.

Cheers
--
  Matthew Kerwin