Re: Is CONNECT hop-by-hop?

--------
In message <c28bcb44-f10c-e216-d9df-3e2cf985d931@treenet.co.nz>, Amos Jeffries
writes:

>So IMO the issue is not whether CONNECT is hop-by-hop, but whether the
>intermediary is mapping the CONNECT to TCP directly or to another
>HTTP-message. If it is to another HTTP-message (eg CONNECT to a peer)
>the end-to-end headers still apply to that (non-)payload sent to the
>next-hop, the hop-by-hop headers do not.

My understanding:

Client sends CONNECT to proxy1

Proxy1 interprets this as "Please open TCP connection to ____"

If Proxy1 is configured to always use Proxy2, the only way Proxy1
can serve this request, is by sending a CONNECT to proxy2.

If my understanding is correct, then CONNECT is hop-by-hop, but
depending on the proxy configuration, CONNECTs may be chained until
some proxy in the chain is allowed/can do the direct TCP connection.