Re: Lifting HTTP/3 Features into Extensions

IIUC, transfer-encoding has never been part of the semantics of HTTP.

RFC 7230 states that "any recipient along the request/response chain
MAY decode the received transfer coding(s) or apply additional
transfer coding(s) to the message body, assuming that corresponding
changes are made to the Transfer-Encoding field-value". Therefore,
replacing it with frame lengths in H2 was fine.

OTOH, trailers are part of the semantics of HTTP. Not forwarding them
is an interoperability issue. We should encourage people to fix the
bug. Making trailers an option would have the opposite effect; it
would encourage the proxy developers to not support trailers.

--
Kazuho Oku