Re: Migrating some high-entropy HTTP headers to Client Hints.

On Mon, Dec 3, 2018 at 11:05 AM Daniel Stenberg <daniel@haxx.se> wrote:

> On Mon, 3 Dec 2018, Mike West wrote:
>
> > the entire mechanism in Fetch if this group is willing to point off in
> that
> > direction in a future version of RFC7231 that deprecates `User-Agent`.
>
> I would be most curious on *how* we would go ahead and actually deprecate
> User-Agent for real on the web. Just saying it in a document like that
> won't
> be enough.

https://github.com/mikewest/ua-client-hints#a-proposal tries to lay out a
story: in short, we take another stab at Safari's attempt to freeze the UA
string, with the client hint serving as an escape valve for developers who
have legitimate need for the existing string.

-mike