Re: Opsdir last call review of draft-ietf-httpbis-expect-ct-07

Thanks for the comments! I've addressed these in
https://github.com/httpwg/http-extensions/commit/50c233544c746ed826b9b2b778ace17e0b65f66b,
with some replies inline.

On Tue, Aug 7, 2018 at 11:13 PM Qin Wu <bill.wu@huawei.com> wrote:

> Reviewer: Qin Wu
> Review result: Ready
>
> I have reviewed this document as part of the Operational directorate's
> ongoing
> effort to review all IETF documents being processed by the IESG.  These
> comments were written with the intent of improving the operational aspects
> of
> the IETF drafts. Comments that are not addressed in last call may be
> included
> in AD reviews during the IESG review.  Document editors and WG chairs
> should
> treat these comments just like any other last call comments.
>
> This document defines"Expect-CT" response header field. It can be used by
> server to indicate that UAs should evaluate connections to the host
> emitting
> the header field for CT compliance. I believe this document is ready for
> publication. However I have a few comments which I like authors of this
> document can consider: 1.Section 1, Introduction,3 paragraph said: "Web
> host
> operators are
>    advised to deploy Expect-CT with caution, by using the reporting
>    feature and gradually increasing the interval where the UA remembers
>    the host as a Known Expect-CT Host.
> "
> To consistent with the next sentence in paragraph 3, s/caution/precautions
> I believe this interval is related to max-age, if the answer is yes, I
> would
> suggest to change interval into waiting time or hold on time, in addition,
> change remembers into regards
>
> 2.Section 2.1 Expected-CT field syntax
> Not sure Response header field name should use upper case.

I'm not sure what this is referring to -- the only capitalized bit I see is
the section name, which is capitalized like all the other section names.

> 3.Section 2.1.2 said:
> "When both the "enforce" directive and "report-uri" directive
>    (as defined in Figure 2) are present, the configuration is referred
>    to as an "enforce-and-report" configuration"
>
> Section 3, failure-mode said:
> "
>    o  "failure-mode": the value indicates whether the Expect-CT report
>       was triggered by an Expect-CT policy in enforce or report-only
>       mode.  The value is provided as a string.  The UA MUST set this
>       value to "enforce" if the Expect-CT metadata indicates an
>       "enforce" configuration, and "report-only" otherwise.
> "
> I am wondering how these two quoted text related to each other? Why
> failure-mode doesn't support enforce-and-report mode?

"enforce-and-report" mode is implicit when a report is sent with
"failure-mode" set to "enforce"; if it were enforce only mode without
reporting, a report wouldn't be sent.

> 4.Section 3.1 s/reporting
> server/report server 5.Section 4.1 Section 4.1 said UA experience denials
> of
> service. Section 7 said: " 7.  Usability Considerations
>
>    When the UA detects a Known Expect-CT Host in violation of the UA's
>    CT Policy, users will experience denials of service.  It is advisable
>    for UAs to explain the reason why.
>
> "
> Section 5 last paragraph said:
> "Because Expect-CT causes remotely-detectable behavior, it's advisable
>    that UAs offer a way for privacy-sensitive users to clear currently
>    noted Expect-CT hosts, and allow users to query the current state of
>    Known Expect-CT Hosts.
> "
> I am wondering who experience denials of service, who are users referred in
> section 7? Expect-CT hosts or report server? Who are privacy-sensitive
> users in
> section 5? UA? From where can the user query the current state of Known
> Expect-CT Hosts? Report server or Server? Does this document define
> mechanism
> which allow user to get access to the current state of known expected-ct
> hosts?
>
> 6. Section 7 said:
> "
> It is advisable for UAs to explain the reason why.
> "
> Explain the reason why to who? Web client or webserver? If it is the
> latter,Isn’t violation report defined in section 3.2 and 3.3 doing this
> job? If
> it is former,does this introduce security risk?

"Users" is meant to refer to end users in these sentences, so I've
clarified that in the text. It's advised that the user can query the
current state of Known Expect-CT Hosts via the UA, e.g. the UA provides a
debugging or configuration functionality where the user can view the hosts
that the UA has noted as Known Expect-CT Hosts, but the document doesn't
define the exact mechanism for how this is done.