Re: Questiona about timezones

hi

Quoting from an API lead for one of the major health record systems in the
world:

------
Internally, we have some variation on how this is handled, and it depends
on context. A specific date can have a zone tied to it. This is usually to
capture context of the user that entered data, so that an app can choose to
display that later.

In addition, we have a location that captures the local zone of the
patient. This is so you can translate from a "local time" to a real instant
in time correctly - like the med dosages. This is most common (for us) in
inpatient scenarios. However, I would imagine that a consumer-facing app
would need to do something similar when there is no encounter (for example)
that would have a location tied to it. Note: we don't have a "zone" on the
Location in FHIR, - so right now, someone would have to extrapolate this
from geolocation, if it existed.

Finally, we have apps where the use case makes more sense to convert all
times to the local user's time zone. This is "client side" logic usually.
>From a server perspective, this isn't normally an issue it has to deal with
except for the Narrative and other displays we return. I know we have a
translation extension + the capability to add language tags to narratives
now. It would be nice if I could only choose to return the "original" + the
requested translation, and this is the main scenario I can think of that
would start to push for headers

The assumption being that the "translation" would take Locale as well as
zone preferences into consideration

------
Grahame

--