Re: Dictionary Compression for HTTP (at Facebook)

On Fri, Aug 24, 2018 at 10:24:23AM +0000, Felix Handte wrote:
> Jyrki,
>
> Glad to hear it! We're excited too!
>
> We look forward to playing with Brotli's new capabilities when they're available.
>
> Yes, Zstd can accept unformatted buffers as dictionaries, which it uses as you describe. Additionally though, Zstd describes a format for structured dictionaries[1], which includes metadata in addition to an LZ77 prefix.

One topic that came up during IESG review of draft-kucherawy-dispatch-zstd was
whether/when third-party or standard dictionaries would become available and how
dictionary IDs would be assigned for those cases (since at present, IIUC, the
dictionary IDs would need to be pre-negotiated between the two parties).  No
IANA registry was created at that time, but with a 4-byte dictionary identifier space
to work with, it seems like there might be space to create a registry for dictionary
IDs (including private use space, of course), and just publishing well-known
dictionaries.

-Ben