Re: Fixing cookies (Re: Some half-baked thoughts about cookies.)

On Tue, Aug 28, 2018 at 6:05 PM Willy Tarreau <w@1wt.eu> wrote:
> In my opinion every hard-breakage makes the situation worse. Look at
> the result of the GDPR crap : as already anticipated, it's impossible
> to access any simple web site without having to click multiple "I accept
> to swallow everything" buttons.

As much as I find the "consent" provisions in the GDPR meaningless and
annoying, I don't think that we improve things by loading more
decisions like this on the people who are least empowered, informed,
equipped, or inclined to deal with those decisions.  For instance, if
we think that a cap on duration is sensible, browser-makers can
implement that cap.  Asking questions tends to lead more to social
engineering than it does positive results.

So yeah, this isn't easy.