Re: Some half-baked thoughts about cookies.

--------
In message <CAKXHy=eVOjyXa8+iLrXt8AYtFj1wDPrp_ZQAHjX3f4U_=niPgA@mail.gmail.com>
, Mike West writes:

>> > How is that worse than sending an opaque cookie,
>>
>> If it was always sent, with no opt-out. (Again, I'm not
>> saying that was Mike's proposal though.)
>>

>IMO, users must always have the ability to opt-out of sending this
>identifier to any entity, just as they do with cookies today. User agents
>should likely aim above that bar, but an opt-out is the bare minimum.

My original proposal was that this identifier is 100% under the
clients control, and that one bit is a courtesy bit where the
client signals if it intends this to be a permanent session or an
ephemeral/temporary session.

As a starting point, browsing in private mode would set the bit
to ephemeral, browsing in normal mode would set it to permanent.

But obviously the user should have a way to say "always send
ephemeral id's to $ADNETWORK" etc.