Re: Call For HTTPbis adoption: cdn-loop-prevention

On 27/07/18 09:11, Patrick McManus wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> When we met in Montreal there was strong interest in the room in
> adopting the presented cdn-loop-prevention draft, with no dissenting hum
> on the topic. This message opens that call for adoption discussion on
> the list.
>
> Specifically, if you didn't have a chance to participate in that
> discussion please reply to this email with your opinion and reasons for
> or against adoption of the loop prevention draft
> (https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-cdn-loop-prevention-00) as a proposed
> standards track document. Discussion on any points raised relevant to
> the draft is also welcome here.
>
> As discussed, the document deals specifically with loop prevention at
> the scope of a CDN and we're accepting that its an intrinsic part of the
> document if we take it on (of course adopting it does not obligate the
> group to eventually publish it, but changing the scope of the loop
> detection would be out of scope for changes to it.)
>
> I'll hold the CFA open until August 9th.
>
> Thanks
> -Patrick

I still don't see the utility of adding yet another mechanism here - it
just looks like more complexity for those of us implementing them. Which
the implementations attempting to be worked around will block/break the
same way they break the existing mechanisms.

That said, I'm not going to vote against adoption if thats what the rest
of the WG want.

Amos