Re: Secondary Certificates and 0-RTT

On Sat, Jul 14, 2018 at 3:52 AM Kazuho Oku <kazuhooku@gmail.com> wrote:

> 0-RTT

> but

> resumption.

> keys
> secondary

> >> That is incorrect observation.
> >>
> >> The primary certificate can be considered valid because the session
> >> ticket is tied to the handshake transcript that is derived from the
> >> previous handshake that involved the primary certificate.
> >>
> >> What I am referring to is the original claim that based on the
> >> incorrect assumption that *because primary certificate is involved in
> >> the resuming handshake*, the connection loses the tie to the secondary
> >> certificates that it had during 0-RTT (see point 3 of [1]). Actually,
> >> primary certificate is not involved in the resuming handshake, and
> >> therefore it should be considered that 0-RTT and 1-RTT are authorized
> >> for the same set of certificates.
> >

> > I agree (when the server chooses to resume).

> proof.

> is
> not
> B,

> >> No. If you bind different Session Ticket encryption keys (STEKs) to
> >> each of the server certificate, a server that is incapable of
> >> performing a full handshake for a server certificate it cannot sign
> >> will never be possible to accept a resuming handshake for the host,
> >> nor even decrypt the 0-RTT data.
> >>
> >> I understand that some large scale providers might not be doing this.
> >> That is fine if either of the following properties are met:
> >> a) 0-RTT is not used and you can trust the code running on any of the
> >> edge nodes (i.e. the code that rejects resumption based on SNI)
> >> b) all the websites being hosted has equivalent jurisdictional
> >> requirements, and all of them are happy with the security guarantees
> >> provided by the weakest edge node
> >>
> >> But as I have pointed out in [2], there are cases that do not meet
> >> such properties.
> >

> > Yes, but the cases that do not meet these properties (with the set of
> > certificates in question) cannot use Secondary Certificate Authentication
> > anyway.  I am talking about resumption of Secondary Certificate
> > Authentication sessions.
>
> They can.
>
> Such servers can use secondary certificates under the current rule
> that a client cannot trust them after resumption. This is because
> there is an assumption that once a server certificate is verified by a
> client, it is considered valid at least for the lifetime of the
> connection.
>
> Such servers do meet the assumption, and can send secondary
> certificates that would be considered valid for the lifetime of the
> connection.

OK, I think I understand the scenario you are describing.  I would clarify
this by adding the following text to the Secondary Certificate
Authentication draft:

"A server that enables 0-RTT resumption MUST NOT share a session's
resumption secrets with another server unless that server is authoritative
for all the domains that might be covered by this session."

This is as opposed to the policy that you were proposing: that servers
using SCA can share a session's resumption secrets if they are both
authoritative for the session's primary certificate.