RE: a few comments about HiNT [was: Re: HTTP proposal for UDP proxying: HELIUM]

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for the feedback, addressing your points in order:

> I'm still pondering whether the mechanisms described (and more generally a tunnelled-QUIC approach) can be used by a proxy sitting in the mobile access to run an optimised congestion controller that benefits the end-to-end flow.  I guess one has to try ☺

Proxying for congestion control is an interesting use case. So I think this question comes from the protections of QUIC making transparent (aka implicit) proxying hard/impossible. Is it feasible for the access network to explicitly signal the presence of such a proxy in the mobile environment? In other words, there are methods for proxy discovery (DHCP etc) but are these practically deployable by operators?

> Section 4.: I think we should refrain from considering extending CONNECT semantics.  This is possibly the most complex of the approaches because of the huge installed base, which we can't expect to forklift overnight.

That is useful feedback, thanks. We hope to gather similar feedback either here or in the HTTPbis session at ITF 102.

> Typo in 6.1. s/Is/It is/

I’ll get it fixed in the next draft.

Regards
Lucas

Thanks for the clarity and the very good analysis.

A few comments:

  *   I'm still pondering whether the mechanisms described (and more generally a tunnelled-QUIC approach) can be used by a proxy sitting in the mobile access to run an optimised congestion controller that benefits the end-to-end flow.  I guess one has to try ☺

  *   Section 4.: I think we should refrain from considering extending CONNECT semantics.  This is possibly the most complex of the approaches because of the huge installed base, which we can't expect to forklift overnight.

  *   Typo in 6.1. s/Is/It is/

Cheers, t

http://www.bbc.co.uk