Re: HTTP proposal for UDP proxying: HELIUM

On Tue, Jul 10, 2018 at 8:04 PM Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 11, 2018 at 1:13 AM Ben Schwartz <bemasc@google.com> wrote:
> > HELIUM is intended to run over a congestion controlled "substrate"
> between client and proxy.  This means there are two congestion control
> contexts: one between client and proxy, and one between the client and
> destination (through the proxy).  As you know, when the client-proxy link
> is congested, this can lead to classic "TCP over TCP" performance
> problems.  My understanding is that the client-proxy congestion control
> converts loss into delay, and this highly variable delay interferes with
> the inner context.
>
> It's possible that flow control is as much of a problem as congestion
> control.  The end-to-end connection follows a longer path, and while
> it might be subject to two pinch points, only one of those is real in
> the sense that only one of them holds back the overall throughput.
>
> The problem arises when the proxy needs to buffer in reaction to
> congestion on the second part of either link; it then needs to exert
> back pressure using flow control, or drop.  Dropping is easy in a
> sense (or marking - where you might decide an ECN analogue is needed),
> but that you might use flow control implies that you have buffering,
> which is a great way to destroy latency.
>
> We sort of pretend that we don't have these problems with CONNECT, and
> let implementations deal with the consequences.  That's usually
> performance degradation of a kind.

Yes, although it's generally good for throughput.

> The question here is whether you
> care to grapple with the problems, and do what lengths you are
> prepared to go in doing that.

I think these are very interesting questions.  Personally, my hope is to be
competitive with the existing solutions (e.g. CONNECT, TURN, L2TP) in their
respective domains, eventually.  That might require waiting for HTTP/QUIC,
and it might require some nontrivial congestion control research.  On the
other hand, it might not be so hard.  HELIUM's timestamps should be
sufficient to allow the client to detect growing flow-control queues at the
proxy, in either direction.