Re: New Version Notification for draft-cdn-loop-prevention-00.txt

Hi, thanks for the draft! Some comments as an individual ...

* I agree with the comment that, as proposed, this isn't really a CDN
specific solution. Its a more opaque version of via.. so it makes sense to
me to construct it independent of CDNs and instead focus it on any element
that wants to participate in loop prevention. CDNs serve as the primary
illustrator.

* I would be interested in more text on why Via failed and therefore this
should succeed.. you mention that via is used in practice as a control
signal incompatibly enumerating intermediaries.. I agree, but I also think
via in practice reveals information people don't want revealed.. is
CDN-loop perhaps more robust to this because the token is opaque (and
perhaps not consistent between exchanges)?

* the draft focuses on creation of the cdn-loop request header but has
nothing to say on who/how/when that is policed.

* "the token defines the CDN as a whole." feels like it needs more
guidance.. is it even the right advice? Is it more about the scope of the
token? are there use cases where cascading cdns make sense that might
involve CDN repeats without forming a loop?

* it would really help the wg to understand the scope of the problem a
little more.. "not unknown for CDNs to be configured in a loop" makes me
wonder if the authors believe this is a serious problem (though I suspect
they just didn't want to over-assert).. but given that the document
basically wants to restandardize something that has been standardized
(Via), a little discussion of the operational imperative makes sense. (this
is not necessarily something that would have to be in the doc)

-P