Re: GET with body / SEARCH

Hi James,

there is definitely an appetite for it. Searches have become increasingly
complex in the past years and POST is the method of choice today to perform
searches. A big problem with POST is that as it is not safe,

However, I think your previous proposal could be extended to address
application-level query languages, like GraphQL or JQL. As these become
more complex, they also turn to the POST method. The SEARCH method could be
a better alternative, even though, technically, some of these might not be
searches, but fetching (one or many) resources.

I'm also interested to know why you decided that SEARCH shouldn't be
cacheable. Was that to keep compatibility with existing implementations? If
you fetching a list of resources which requires a complex query or
filtering, I believe people might want the ability to cache these. Have you
thought about defaulting to no caching, but allowing caching to be enabled
by Cache-Control?

And least, should the proposal be prescriptive about the message contents
and how it is logged by the servers? Today, request bodies in POST request
might contain sensitive information and you don't want these on your log
files.