Re: Interest in a UDP equivalent to the CONNECT method

On 2/4/2018 11:02 AM, Ian Swett wrote:
> This seems generally useful, but are there enough motivating use cases?
>
> On Sun, Feb 4, 2018 at 11:19 AM, Ben Schwartz <bemasc@google.com
> <mailto:bemasc@google.com>> wrote:
>
>     In my view, a UDP counterpart to CONNECT ought to work not only for
>     HTTP/QUIC but also for WebRTC.  That means that it should have the
>     ability to receive packets from unexpected sources, as the remote
>     party's effective address may not be known in advance.  I don't know
>     how to map that semantic into HTTP/2 frames.

CONNECT is still an HTTP method which has some notion of a stream
transport, though it's kind of a tunnel.

SOCKS5 is a protocol for proxy transport of data which also supports
UDP, and isn't tied to HTTP headers and framing:

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1928

it might be better suited to arbitrary traffic

--
       Albert Lunde  albert-lunde@northwestern.edu
                     atlunde@panix.com  (address for personal mail)