Re: New Version Notification for draft-ietf-httpbis-header-structure-03.txt

On 2 Feb 2018, at 11:25 am, Matthew Kerwin <matthew@kerwin.net.au> wrote:

> On 2 February 2018 at 09:55, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net> wrote:
>> This draft proposes solutions for a number of issues; see the change notes
>> at the end as well as the issues closed to date:
>>
>> https://github.com/httpwg/http-extensions/issues?q=is%3Aissue+label%3Aheader-structure+is%3Aclosed
>>
>> I'm planning on talking about the open issues in London:
>>
>> https://github.com/httpwg/http-extensions/issues?q=is%3Aissue+label%3Aheader-structure+is%3Aopen
>> ... but if you have feedback before that, it'd be great to hear it on the
>> issues or here.
>>
>> Cheers,
>
> One question springs to mind: should there be some sort of definition
> for algorithmic operations like "remove"?  I can infer that it
> captures and returns the relevant substring, as distinct from the
> "discard" operation, but I feel like it shouldn't need to be inferred.
>
> Am I being overly pedantic?

If it uses different terms for the same operation, that's not great; I've tried to align terminology where I can, so if you see places where there's divergence, please point it out.

If one of the terms/phrases used is ambiguous, likewise; that said, I don't think we should define terms if they're not ambiguous.

> Oh, and what's with the underscore in 4.9.1 Parsing Binary Content from Text?
>
> ~~~
>   3.  Let b64_content be the result of removing content of input_string
>       up to but not including the first instance of the character "_".
>       If there is not a "_" character before the end of input_string,
>       throw an error.
> ~~~
>
> Should that be an asterisk?

Yes, thanks -- markdown. Fixed in source, hopefully.

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham   https://www.mnot.net/