Re: draft-ietf-httpbis-replay-03, "5.1. The Early-Data Header Field"

> On 15 May 2018, at 7:28 pm, Willy Tarreau <w@1wt.eu> wrote:
>
> FWIW I've used many times "Host:" with no name when connecting to an
> HTTP/1.1 server without knowing its name, and rarely faced any issue
> with this. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but that many
> implementations support an empty header field and distinguish it from
> an absent one.

Sure - although that's pretty broken for Host, this isn't a completely uncommon thing. When we did SOAPAction way back when (shudder), we came to the conclusion that some HTTP implementations might drop empty headers, so it wasn't safe -- but I don't remember how much data that was based upon.

That said, just because it's possible with HTTP headers doesn't mean it needs to be possible with structured headers.

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham   https://www.mnot.net/