Re: draft-ietf-httpbis-replay-03, "5.1. The Early-Data Header Field"

On Mon, May 14, 2018 at 03:35:22PM +0900, Kazuho Oku wrote:
> Maybe I am missing some context, but the question here (for SH) seems
> to me that how we should carry a boolean flag.

Absolutely agreed.

> I think that there could be two ways:
> 1. use the existence of the header as the flag, as Early-Data draft does
> 2. always require the header to carry a boolean value
>
> I do not mind whichever we choose, but I would prefer having one way
> of doing that defined in SH.

I *tend* to think that being a bit stricter (ie value must match) is better
for the long term : over time we've seen many times a boolean become an enum
and that becomes a problem because anyone sends anything if the presence only
suffices. By enforcing strictness (400 bad req if doesn't match) we reserve
all unspecified values for later use if required.

Willy