Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-httpbis-bcp56bis-04.txt

Thanks, Ariel.

Incorporated, with some notes below.

> On 14 Apr 2018, at 10:38 am, Ariel Otilibili Anieli <otilibil@eurecom.fr> wrote:
>
> Hi Mark,
>
> Here is my review of this draft:
>
> 1. "HTTP-based APIs defined by standards need to more carefully..." runs more smoothly than "standards-defined HTTP-based APIs need to more carefully consider...".
>
> 2. "At the same time, the IETF has a tradition of protocol reuse..." We could remove the contextual part "At the same time".
>
> 3. "These have more freedom to modify protocol operations" instead of "These have more freedom to modify protocol operation".
>
> 4. "or stacking the application upon HTTP, instead of using it" captures better the writer's mind than "or making the application be based upon HTTP, instead of using it".

"Based upon HTTP" is a phrase that's introduced in the referenced section; changing it removes the meaning.

Created https://github.com/httpwg/http-extensions/issues/587

> 6. "Because URLs occur in and are generated in HTTP artefacts commonly, often without human intervention..." I did not get what you have meant here.

See revision.

> 7. "Applications that use HTTP can use the well-known ports...or they can be deployed upon others." stresses better the work of IANA than "Applications that use HTTP can use the applicable default port...or they can be deployed upon other ports."
>
> 8. The sentence "This decision can be made at deployment time, or might be encouraged by the application’s specification (e.g., by registering a port for that application)." should be in the same paragraph than "In either case, non-default ports..."
>
> 9. Moreover, "The usage of unknown ports can be made at deployment time..." instead of "This decision can be made at deployment time..." and "In either case, unknown ports will need to be reflected..." instead of "In either case, non-default ports will need to be reflected..." speak the same voice than Point 8.
>
> 9. Idem "Using an unknown port has privacy implications..." for "Using a port other than the default has privacy implications..."

I don't think that these changes are improvements.

--
Mark Nottingham   https://www.mnot.net/