Re: Origin Signed Responses and certificate requirements

I commented on the PR, but in the spirit of bringing things to the list, I
think allowing reuse with TLS is a net-negative for security, and we should
not do this.

The same conversation being had around Secondary Certificates and Delegated
Credentials is applicable here. In this case, we have an online signing
entity that fundamentally must be near the edge (to terminate TLS), while
also granting it the ability to create long-lived signatures (the web
package). From an operational standpoint, this incentivizes weak key
protection, when the threat model of Web Packaging arguably requires
stronger key protection, due to the greater risk being introduced to
clients - namely, the ability to deploy misused signatures more widely
(from oracles or key compromise).

Just as in the Secondary Certificates discussion, in which key separation
or the enforced-use of Delegated Credentials (which permits, but does not
guarantee, a degree of key separation and protection), I think in the Web
Packaging case, the likely actual deployment of servers, and the security
risks to clients, is a reasonable reason to ensure the protocol-level
separation. Beyond the key protection mechanism, the differences in
signatures here ensures a reduction of risk from cross-protocol confusion
and attacks - something that was previously intentionally mitigated by
enforcing this separation.

So no, I don't believe allowing reuse is good. And while some providers may
do operationally idiotic things (such as reusing the keys between the
different certificates), the ecosystem does not incentivize or encourage
that.