Re: Requirements for Secondary Certificates (#522)

On 11/04/18 08:20, Jeffrey Yasskin wrote:

> If the main problem is that Secondary Certificates make detecting
> compromise more difficult, would it help to have clients make a parallel
> connection to the DNS-discovered IP address that simply reports who's
> using the server's identity? I think it's safe for this connection to
> fail open, since if the attacker's network-privileged, they didn't need
> to use Secondary Certs.

I don't think it would help at all. Recall that DNS/BGP is already
compromised in order to perform the attack at all. So any side
connection is just as easily caught and faked as the original was.

( Time for a shameless plug about DNSSEC + DANE ? )

Amos