From: Mike Bishop [mailto:mbishop@evequefou.be]
Sent: 30 November 2017 17:57
To: Lucas Pardue <Lucas.Pardue@bbc.co.uk>
Cc: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>; HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>; Patrick McManus <mcmanus@ducksong.com>
Subject: SNI Extension for Alt-Svc

I was already planning to spin up a thread on that draft today, so thanks for deciding what I'm doing next today!  😉  Forking a separate thread.

WG, https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-bishop-httpbis-sni-altsvc-00 proposes a new parameter for Alt-Svc suggesting that a client use a different (presumably generic) hostname in the TLS SNI extension, and instead gain Alt-Svc "reasonable assurances" by requesting the origin's certificate via Secondary Certificates (which is currently under Call for Adoption).  It gives a solution, albeit HTTP-specific, to SNI privacy by providing a discoverability path for which generic hostname can be used to reach a more sensitive origin under encryption.

As to the frame reference, I intentionally didn't reference which protocol, in part because Alt-Svc itself says it can be carried by various mechanisms and the definition of an Alt-Svc extension doesn't need to get into that layer.  The Alt-Svc frame for HTTP/QUIC is specified by https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-bishop-httpbis-altsvc-quic-00.  While frames are present in both HTTP/2 and HTTP/QUIC, I don't think that makes frames a generic HTTP concept -- it's a property of certain mappings, and specified individually in each of them.