Re: Working Group Last Call for Using Early Data in HTTP

Hi Victor,

I think that most of your comments were addressed in response to other
reviews, but there is one thing no one else picked up on:

On Thu, Nov 30, 2017 at 3:24 AM, Victor Vasiliev <vasilvv@google.com> wrote:
> "Implementations MUST either ensure that any early data that is delivered
> late
> is either discarded or consistently identified and processed." -- I am not
> quite sure what exactly this means.  Is that (re)statement of the
> requirement
> that the early data status is not changed in the middle of processing?

Late delivery of early data could lead to a server (or intermediary
acting as one) processing that data in a fashion that is inconsistent
with other server instances.  While it's true that the data wasn't
replayed toward *this* server instance, that doesn't mean that it
wasn't replayed toward another instance.  It's important to treat that
data properly.

FWIW, ekr and I discussed what to do with this in NSS, and while it's
suboptimal, we took the cheap option: we discard early data that
arrives after the handshake completes.

I've clarified this some, I hope:
https://github.com/httpwg/http-extensions/pull/442