Re: New Version Notification for draft-mcmanus-httpbis-h2-websockets-02.txt

Hi y'all,

Patrick, thank you for driving this effort!  A couple of questions from my
team:

1. What happens if the client needs to send a Websocket request to a server
but there is currently no connection open to the the server: is it okay for
the client to open an HTTP/2 connection, and fallback to HTTP/1.1 only if
the server does not support Websockets over HTTP/2?

If so, does the client need to wait for the initial SETTINGS frame to see
if there is an ENABLE_CONNECT_PROTOCOL = 1 parameter in it, or can it send
out the Websocket request right away in order to save a roundtrip (it would
fail anyway if the server has no support)?  Would it make sense to
explicitly allow an HTTP/2 server to process a Websocket request that it
receives before the initial SETTINGS frame is ACKed?  The client would
still need to wait for the server handshake before it can use the Websocket.

2. "On requests bearing the :protocol pseudo-header, the :scheme and :path
pseudo-header fields SHOULD be included."

Is there a use case for a request with :protocol but without :scheme or
:path headers?  In other words, why could this not be a MUST?

3. As I am reading the current specification, there is no restriction on
sending ENABLE_CONNECT_PROTOCOL = 1 in a SETTINGS frame other than the
initial SETTINGS frame.  Is there any scenario where it would make sense
for a server to do this?  If not, would it be overly restrictive to require
this setting to be sent only in the initial SETTINGS frame?

Cheers,

Bence