Re: [hybi] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-mcmanus-httpbis-h2-websockets-01.txt

From: Kazuho Oku <kazuhooku@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2017 16:05:20 +0900
To: Kari Hurtta <hurtta-ietf@elmme-mailer.org>
Cc: Wenbo Zhu <wenboz@google.com>, Patrick McManus <pmcmanus@mozilla.com>, hybi <hybi@ietf.org>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
>> Therefore the explicit tunneling mechanism is
>> necessary to signal to proxies/frameworks that a full-duplex byte-stream is
>> being tunneled as a http/2 stream.
>>> Request:
>>>   :method: GET
>>>   :scheme: https
>>>   :authority: server.example.com
>>>   :path: /chat
>>>   :upgrade: websocket
>  Pseudo-Header Fields
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7540#section-
> states
> --------
>    Pseudo-header fields are only valid in the context in which they are
>    defined.  Pseudo-header fields defined for requests MUST NOT appear
>    in responses; pseudo-header fields defined for responses MUST NOT
>    appear in requests.  Pseudo-header fields MUST NOT appear in
>    trailers.  Endpoints MUST treat a request or response that contains
>    undefined or invalid pseudo-header fields as malformed
>    (Section
> --------
> Then that ":upgrade" works as explicit tunneling mechanism, IF you can trust
> that response is treated as mailformed (stream error of type PROTOCOL_ERROR)
> when proxies/frameworks does not subscribe that tunneling mechanism.
> Can you trust that?

Note that we would be doing negotiation beforehand using a SETTINGS
parameter. Otherwise, a client cannot send a request with `:upgrade:`
pseudo header.

I believe that a successful negotiation would be sufficient to
guarantee that the `:upgrade:` response header will be recognized as a
signal (or a 101 status code as a signal).

> / Kari Hurtta

Kazuho Oku