Re: New Version Notification for draft-nottingham-structured-headers-00.txt

On Fri, Nov 03, 2017 at 09:30:08AM +1100, Mark Nottingham wrote:
> On 2 Nov 2017, at 4:54 pm, Willy Tarreau <w@1wt.eu> wrote:
> >
> >> For floats, first let me state that I do not know if we even need to
> >> support it. To me it seems worth considering to drop it, as PHK
> >> suggested.
> >
> > +1. We can define that "q=" is specified in thousands for example and
> > that only 3 decimals have to be parsed there.
>
> I'm not so sure we can do that; it's not just QValues. E.g.,
>
> http://httpwg.org/http-extensions/client-hints.html#dpr

Interesting one. With the proposed format there's no way to reproduce
the exact value (eg: 4000x3000 will send 1.3333 but after how many '3'
is it enough ?). Ratios could be useful there (eg: 4000/3000) but some
implementations will always suffer from div by zero or the funnier div
by -1 which nobody cares to check against and which produces the same
result. Maybe we should accept some limits to the precision here, such
as 16 bit integral value and 16 bit fractional one for all decimal
numbers (as an example of course).

Willy