Re: New Version Notification for draft-nottingham-structured-headers-00.txt

On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 4:25 PM, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net> wrote:

> On 31 Oct 2017, at 4:36 am, Wenbo Zhu <wenboz@google.com> wrote:
> >
> > I'll ask about two more things:
> > 1) being able to separate standard headers from user-defined metadata ..
> now that we have a convention for "value" types
>
> I think that would have to be done in a new version of HTTP itself, not by
> a convention that's adopted header-by-header. I also suspect it would be
> difficult to introduce.
>
> Do we have a crisp idea of what 'user' is vs. 'standard'?

Anything documented in httpbis specs v.s. everything else (inc. those
specified by U-A)?

> > 2) a (simple) binary representation for the structure ... has it been
> discussed?
>
> Not yet, but it's in mind. Negotiating for its use would require either a
> new version of HTTP, or maybe an extension (although there'd be some
> non-optimal behaviour in the first RT).

Initially, "*<base64-encoded>" for user defined headers.  I can also see
such a binary representation being useful elsewhere as a _simple_ binary
serialization format.