Re: New Version Notification for draft-mcmanus-httpbis-h2-websockets-00.txt

Hey Patrick,

Catching up after travel...

The only thing that I don't like about this is covered in your FAQ:

> # Instead of overloading CONNECT, why not a new TUNNEL method?
>
> Methods are generally end to end and, more importantly, HTTP version independent. CONNECT is already a special snowflake in this regard. Note that the only method 7540 defines is CONNECT - because all the others are inherited from the semantic layer of 723x. Extending it is fairly natural as its defined specifically for HTTP/2 while a new method would not be well known as a version specific mechanism.

But 7540 didn't *define* CONNECT, it just adapted how it's used on the wire; the semantics are still "Hey proxy, give me a tunnel to THAT host."

Importantly, CONNECT here isn't being used to talk to a proxy, it's for an origin. And, given how much extra machinery is being defined, I don't see the downside of defining a new method with the specific semantics you're looking for, rather than muddying those of an existing method (which might have bad interactions with current configurations, tools, etc.).

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham   https://www.mnot.net/