Re: New Version Notification for draft-mcmanus-httpbis-h2-websockets-00.txt

On Sun, Oct 15, 2017 at 11:43 AM, Cory Benfield <cory@lukasa.co.uk> wrote:

> Doesn’t the introduction of a new pseudo-header field violate RFC 7540
> Section 8.1.2.1, which says endpoints MUST NOT generate new pseudo-header
> fields?
>
> Or is the position that that MUST NOT implicitly applies only if there are
> no negotiated extensions in use?

right - negotiating an extension via 7540 section 5.5 is an opt-in
procedure that lets you do just about anything you agree to.. the spec
tries to draw a bright line between extensions that can be ignored safely
and those that cannot and need to be negotiated (such as this one). Enjoy
the example in there about changing the layout of the HEADERS frame :).
This is also why extensions are hop to hop.

one of the reasons I chose the pseudo header to only apply to CONNECT is
already very special purpose - so the exception doesn't pollute very far as
a practical matter.