Re: Call For Adoption HTTPbis BCP56bis

From: Michael Sweet <msweet@apple.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2017 08:57:08 -0400
Cc: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
To: Patrick McManus <pmcmanus@mozilla.com>
Pro

I also think we should do more to highlight existing (good/bad) uses of HTTP as the substrate/transport (IPP, CoAP, etc.) and to make specific recommendations about implementing authentication and access control (including the use of Expect: 100-continue in POST requests).

Particularly for IPP, we have 20 years of implementation experience with billions of printers - there have definitely been some bumps in the road and some implementers still grumble about using HTTP, but HTTP has served us well and allowed us to grow and adapt.