Re: DRAFT - HTTPtre scope of work

From: Willy Tarreau <w@1wt.eu>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2017 04:12:06 +0200
To: Patrick McManus <mcmanus@ducksong.com>
Cc: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>, Alexey Melnikov <alexey.melnikov@isode.com>
On Wed, Oct 11, 2017 at 09:14:38PM +0000, Patrick McManus wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 11, 2017 at 7:48 AM, Willy Tarreau <w@1wt.eu> wrote:
>

> > On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 08:43:10AM -0700, Mark Nottingham wrote:
> > >

> > > 1)  To clearly separate the version-dependent aspects of HTTP from those
> > that are version-independent, to aid readers and implementers, and assist
> > definition of future protocol versions;
> > >

> [..]
>

> > I think that we should also start to give more recommendations about things
> > that should/should not be done to ease porting.
> >

> hopefully these thoughts are complementary!

Yes but they don't completely overlap. Being version agnostic is one thing,
but optimizing for future versions is another one. This can range from trying
to take more advantage of HPACK for H2 to trying hard to make first requests
fit in a single QUIC packet. This can have some consequences on the design
choice for future header field names and syntax for instance.

Cheers,
Willy